To The Exclusion of All Others: Queers Questioning Gay Marriage
This publication will offer differing voices as the fight for gay marriage threatens to completely envelope all other struggles in the queer community. Inspired by Against Equality: Queer Critiques of Gay Marriage, this publication will focus primarily on Australia and the specific effects the marriage campaign has on the queer community. This publication is aiming to explore issues such as the normalising of the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras, homonormativity, the pink dollar, white washing of the queer community and the erasure of trans* peoples voices.
Ultimately this will be a publication that tries to carve out a queer future that isn’t campaigning for a state sanctioned piece of paper.
Seeking works from far ranging topics by folks from all across our communities. Please circulate widely.
Some topic ideas/areas of inquiry/inspiration:
– Trans* people and the marriage debate
– Racism and white privilege in marriage
– Normalised bodies, ability and who is “marriageable”
– Queer struggles for racial and economic justice
– Indigenous peoples’ rights
– Will it “get better”?
– Capitalism, the pink dollar and class privilege
– Gender and gay marriage
– Intimate partner violence
– Intersections of oppressions
– The politics of inclusion/incorporation into oppressive institutions
– Marriage and law
– Polyamory/open relationships
– Family and children
– Queers in favour of gay marriage
– Future: reformist vs. transformative changes
Please note these are ideas, feel free to create your own.
Closing date 24th August 2012
Academic papers will potentially be peer reviewed.
All submissions need to be in word format, 12p Times New Roman. Include name, short bio, and page numbers.
If submissions require references please use Chicago with endnotes rather then footnotes. For any reference enquirers please contact us.
Submit to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that submissions can be anonymous.
Due to limited printing capacity, pieces that are not accepted for printing will be made available on the website.